Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Eastern North Carolina Update with Congressman Walter B. Jones

WASHINGTON, D.C. - As we begin the month of August, I wanted to provide you with a brief update on some of my recent work for Eastern North Carolina.
On July 28, I was honored to receive the Freedom Fighter Award from leading conservative organization FreedomWorks for my votes to defend economic freedom.  As a member of Congress, it is my greatest privilege and responsibility to advance the principles of liberty on which America was founded. 

 
Defending American Taxpayers and the Rule of Law
  • In order to put an end to the border crisis, we must immediately begin enforcing existing immigration laws.  That's why on August 1, I voted in favor of a bill that would prevent President Barack Obama from bypassing Congress to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants.
  • In addition, I’m calling on the National Guard to secure the border and turn back any individuals attempting to cross without legal immigration status.
  • I thank my colleagues in the House for voting on July 25 to pass a resolution that I introduced to prohibit the deployment of U.S. armed forces in a sustained combat role in Iraq without congressional authorization.  It is time that we return to the Constitution, which rests the power of declaring war solely in the hands of Congress.
  • If bills that I sponsored or cosponsored in 2013 were enacted into law, federal spending would decrease by $141.6 billion. I will continue to support legislation that puts an end to the government’s irresponsible fiscal policies.
Working for Eastern North Carolina
  • Eastern North Carolina is proud to have been the childhood home of one of the most famous basketball players of our generation, Meadowlark Lemon. I’ve introduced a bill to name a Wilmington post office in honor of the “Clown Prince of Basketball.”
  • On July 29, I voted in favor of a bill that would bring common-sense reforms to the Endangered Species Act (ESA) – a law that has had a negative economic impact on Eastern North Carolina through the implementation of unnecessary regulations.
  • I am pleased to announce that the Department of Defense has taken steps toward establishing a vertical lift fan repair facility at Fleet Readiness Center East to service the F-35B. I believe allowing this work to be done at FRC East would be the right decision for Eastern North Carolina and the taxpayers who are funding the aircraft’s acquisition and maintenance.
  • The National Park Service has granted my request to extend the public comment period for its proposed vehicle management plan at Cape Lookout National Seashore. Comments can now be submitted through September 4, 2014.
Fighting for Our Military and Veterans
  • applaud the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for ruling on July 9 that $1.75 billion of Iranian money should be distributed to the families of the victims of the 1983 bombing of a Marine Corps barracks in Beirut, Lebanon.
  • Our veterans have bravely served our country and deserve to be honored with a proper burial.  That’s why I’m calling on the VA to improve its system for identifying and interring unclaimed remains of veterans. 
Thank you for taking the time to read about some of my work for the 3rd District. For daily updates, please follow me on Facebook and Twitter. To contact me or learn more about the services my office provides for Eastern North Carolinians, please visit my website.






0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...