Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Statement from Representative Maggie Jeffus:

After much thought, I have decided that I will not seek re-election to the North Carolina House of Representatives.  The General Assembly is no longer a part-time legislature but a full-time legislature, and that leaves little time for family.  I would like to spend more time with my grandchildren, and my husband and I would like to travel and spend more time at the coast. 

I have had the privilege of chairing the appropriation sub-committee on General Government for 3 terms, the appropriation sub-committee on Education for one term, and a chair of the full appropriation committee for two terms.  In all these roles I have championed funding for the Arts, Education, the High Point Furniture Market, and the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering.

During my 20 year tenure, I was a primary sponsor of a range of legislation including enabling legislation to create the Haw River State Park, the Address Confidentiality Act, a method to conceal the addresses of victims of domestic violence from their abusers, and the House co-sponsor of Susie’s Law, a bill to strengthen penalties for animal cruelty.

It has been a real honor to serve the citizens of Guilford County, and I want to thank them for allowing me to be their Representative for these many years.

I plan to finish my 10th term in office.  My door is always open, both in Raleigh and in Greensboro, and I hope you will continue to stay in touch.

###

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...