Friday, September 9, 2011

Form Letter Response from Hagan on the Marriage issue.

Dear Friend,
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Respect for Marriage Act of 2011. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.
The Respect for Marriage Act of 2011 (S. 598/H.R. 1116) was introduced in the Senate and the House of Representatives on March 176, 2011. The Senate bill was referred to the Judiciary Committee. The bill would repeal a provision in the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) that prohibits states, territories, and Indian tribes from being required to recognize any public act or judicial proceeding recognizing same-sex marriage. Moreover, under this legislation federal law would recognize the marriage of a same-sex couple if they entered into that marriage in a state that recognizes same-sex marriage, or if same-sex marriage is legal in the state where they are from.
It is important to acknowledge that public opinion on this matter continues to evolve. I ultimately believe that the issue of same-sex marriage is fundamentally a state issue, and I understand the current law North Carolina has on the books that defines marriage as a relationship between a man and a woman. However, I do support protecting rights for individuals in same-sex partnerships when it comes to hospital visitation, financial matters, employment and housing. As I review legislation that comes before the United States Senate regarding these matters, I pledge to take your concerns into account.
Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns.
Sincerely,
Kay R. Hagan

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...